You likely do your fair share of laundry loads. Even still, that shiny silver hose behind the dryer is out of sight and out of mind. In reality though, your dryer vents require attention and care just like any other component of your home. While many homeowners question why dryer vent cleaning is important, the service has many benefits. FloodSERV is sharing everything you need to know about the importance of professional dryer vent cleaning.
Is Dryer Vent Cleaning Necessary?
The question “is dryer vent cleaning necessary?” has a definitive answer. YES. And here is why:
An estimated 13,820 dryer fires occur annually, causing an average of 7 deaths, 344 injuries, and $233 million in property damage. Of these, 32% of fires were caused by a failure to clean.
Source: NFPA Research, M. Athens. “Home Dryer Fires” June 2020.
However, it is not simply the risk of fire that makes dryer vent cleaning necessary. Consider these other benefits of dryer vent cleaning:
- A dirty lint screen can utilize up to 30% more energy than a clean one. You’ll also have to complete more cycles to thoroughly dry the clothes, increasing your electric bill. Running additional cycles to dry your clothes decreases the lifespan of your dryer.
- If lint prevents your dryer vent flap from closing, nesting animals make take up residence in your ducts.
With these facts in mind, it makes sense that dryer vent cleaning is indeed necessary.
How Often Do I Need Dryer Vent Cleaning?
The standard recommended frequency for dryer vent cleaning is once a year. You should note though, that this is for an average residential house.
If you have several children or pets that require additional loads, you may want to clean the ducts every six months.
Can You Clean a Dryer Vent Yourself?
Whether or not you can clean a dryer vent yourself depends on the length of the duct work. You don’t want to run the risk of pushing lint deeper into the ducts, causing a major blockage.
For standard dryer vents, you can purchase a kit from your local hardware store. Lint can be removed from either side of the openings by hand and then further in with your regular vacuum extensions.
For the best results, we recommend calling FloodSERV for expert dryer vent cleaning services. Furthermore, if your dryer vent exits through the roof, call for professional help.
How Does Dryer Vent Cleaning Work?
- Dryer Vent Inspection – first we assess the amount of lint build up, animal nesting, and other fire hazards. The outside dryer cap is removed in preparation for service.
- Debris Agitation – a vacuum and brush dislodge debris, scraping the edges of the wall to eliminate blockages.
- Particulate Removal – any dirt, dust, debris, and other particulate matter is vacuumed out to leave behind a clean duct and vent.
Dryer Vent Cleaning Keeps Your Home in Working Order
Now that you understand the importance of dryer vent cleaning, schedule your cleaning today! FloodSERV is ready to care for your ducts!