Summer is one of our favorite times of the years. Between the warmer weather, vacation, camping, and fun in the sun, there are plenty of things to enjoy about the season. FloodSERV wants you to be able to enjoy yourself fully, which is why it is important not to neglect the safety of you, your family, and your property. Use these summer fire safety tips to keep the fun going.
Summer Fire Safety Tips
There is so much to do during the warmer weather. For this reason, it is critical to keep these summer fire safety tips top of mind while you enjoy yourself.
Property Fire Safety Tips
- Maintain 10 feet of space between your home, shed, and any fire pits, bonfires, or tiki torches.
- Supervise children and pets at all times, especially around open flames.
- Keep matches and lighters far out of the reach of children.
- Put out any open fires before leaving the backyard or going to bed.
- Leave fireworks to a professional.
Grilling Fire Safety Tips
Never grill indoors.
Situate the grill away from the home, deck railings, roof eaves, and low branches
- Check propane hoses for leaks before using.
- Open the lid of your gas grill before lighting it.
- Only use charcoal starter fluid on charcoal grills.
- Wear short sleeves or roll up sleeves while cooking.
- Use long-handled grill tools to avoid burning your fingers and hands.
- Keep the grill at least 10 feet away from the property.
- Maintain 3 feet of space between children, pets, and the grill.
- Never leave the grill unattended.
- Clean leftover fat and grease off the grill to prevent fires.
- Allow any coals to fully cool before placing them in a metal container for disposal.
Prevent Burns and Fires This Summer
By utilizing these summer fire safety tips, you can decrease the chances of having a fire or being burned by one. Should you have a mishap, run any burns under cool water for 3-5 minutes before covering with a clean, dry cloth. See a doctor for any severe, large burns. As always, stay safe this summer season and call FloodSERV for any fire restoration needs you may have!