Here are some safety tips to prepare for rising water—and what to do once a flood has begun.
Before a Flood
- If a flood is likely in your area, listen to the radio or television for information.
- Know the difference between a flood watch and a flood warning.
A watch means flooding is possible.
A warning means flooding is occurring or will occur soon.
When a Flood is Imminent
- Be prepared! Pack a bag with important items in case you need to evacuate. Don’t forget to include the needed medications.
- If advised to evacuate your home, do so immediately.
- If there is any possibility of a flash flood, move immediately to higher ground.
- If possible, bring in outdoor furniture and move essential items to an upper floor.
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so. Disconnect electrical appliances.